Here’s a selection of the hundreds of shipping articles I’ve written while covering the west coast of North America (California, Oregon, Washington State, B.C. and Alaska):
* Kyle Washington: The Prince of Tides (BC Business)
* Escape from the 91st Floor (9/11)
* Armada Rescues Trapped New Yorkers (9/11)
* The Ship That Will Not Die (New Carissa)
* B.C. longshore casuals take a beating
* Fight over Arctic shipping routes
* Crossing the Columbia Bar
* Stranded for nine months in Vancouver Harbor (Globe and Mail)
* Sailing To Shanghai: How I crossed the Pacific on a containership
* What the Truckers’ Fight Is All About (The Tyee)
* Summaries of my articles on U.S.Transportation Research website (Search “Alison Bate”)
* Double Trouble: Exxon Mobil slow to build double hulls
* Death by Lifeboat: Safety drills may cost your life
* The Oil Detectives: What’s killing California birds?
Alison Bate edited two maritime magazines in Canada and the U.S. and wrote a regular column on maritime safety for three years. Her articles appeared in The Globe and Mail, BCBusiness magazine, Marine Digest, The Journal of Commerce, Maritime Magazine, Shipping & Trade News, Containerisation International, among others.