Liz, one of my colleagues at work, asked me last night what I’ll miss about living in Hanoi. It’s the people I’ll miss the most when I leave next month, of course.
But, in a strange sort of way, I’ve also grown to love the following:
* Motorbikes in the living room
* Jockey-cap motorbike helmets designed to fall apart at the slightest accident
* Tall thin houses
* Impossibly-thin motorbike cops
* Throwing the garbage in the alley for the recycle ladies to collect
* Cafe sua da – good iced coffee for under a dollar
* Fresh pineapple for sale with all the hard work taken care of – cut up and ready to eat
* Fresh fruit shakes made out of bananas and pineapple
* Students with the same name in one class: three Thao’s, three Hoa’s, two Nguyen’s, etc
* “When my grandpa was a boy, He was a lot like me…” and other Family and Friends gems
* And, of course, the rat in the photocopier
Are you coming home or going on somewhere else?
What a fabulous list Ali & I am so happy you are coming back !!
Hi Julie…coming home! I’ll be on Bowen from early May if you fancy a visit…Ali